Thursday, October 27, 2016

Life Lesson: My General Anesthesia Story

I'm not the one to write for sad reasons but something happened to me on Tuesday, October 25th, that I'll never forget.

It started off a pretty normal morning. I was scheduled to have my wisdom teeth extracted at 9 AM and I was a bit nervous. When we got there, I was quickly directed to a small, back room with my mom and instructed to sit in a chair and sign some papers. Afterwards, the procedure was explained to me by a doctor (I believe) or dental hygienist. I was asked questions about my health history which was pretty basic. I have no allergies and never had surgery. After we finished that talk, the guy inserted an IV into my hand that would be filled with general anesthesia, an oxygen nasal cannula was placed in my nose and I fell asleep about 6 minutes later before the numbing. What occurred next is something I never imagined would have happened to me.

Tuesday could have been my day. Apparently, I stopped breathing during the numbing of my mouth and the paramedics were immediately called in to revive me. Somehow, I regained consciousness before they began to resuscitate me. I didn't see a white light or any gates. Nope. I had a dream about Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump arguing over who gets the White House because Hillary had won. When I was woke up, I was shaking. One of the dental assistants asked me if I was cold and proceeded to put her jacket around me. I couldn't stop shaking. I was drowsy, scared and numb. A doctor (I'm for sure he was a doctor) was over me asking me questions like "how old are you? Who did you come here with today? What's your name?" He continued to tell me to stay awake although I was half asleep.

My mom was scared half to death. I remember the doctor saying "go get her mom" after I had awaken. She walked in with tears in her eyes, asking questions like "how could this have happened?" That's a good question. A very good question Mom. From what I gathered from the doctor, apparently my body had a reaction to general anesthesia and I lost consciousness from it. The doctor assured my mom that the next time they attempt to take out my wisdom teeth that it will be a local anethesia that will numb only my mouth and prevent any feeling in it instead of it affecting my whole body.

I don't know what went wrong but it did teach me a lesson and has shown me something. First, it taught me that every day isn't promised. A simple procedure could be the end of your life as you know it. I see why people are afraid of the dentist. I'd be too after my experience but I'm not. Lastly, I'm not living my life to the fullest. I am simply existing in the world. I don't party, I rarely drink, and I don't see my friends as much because I work so much. It all hit me at once. I'm not a normal 20-something year old. & I be damned if my last days end with regrets and "well, I didn't see her much." Starting today, I'm going to change my life around. I want the most out of life and its about time I get it and start living.
Reisha 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for viewing my post. Feel free to leave a comment =)