Sunday, March 09, 2014

I Never Want to Hear "You're over-qualified."

There's nothing I want to be more than be comfortable in my life. I want to be comfortable with my finances, my body, my family/friends and my future boyfriend. I never want to feel as though I don't have enough money or experience to do something. Moreover, I have sooooo many dreams. However, the only thing hindering my idea of pursing two more degrees after I graduate with one is that I never want to hear an employer say that I am too qualified for a position.

What? Over-qualified for a position?

That's a cruel and unfortunate situation. Why am I being punished because I enjoy school and learning? WHY is that so bad? If anything, having one to three degrees should be celebrated. It means I love to learn, I am knowledgeable and I have goals to succeed in life. I didn't understand this so I decided to turn to Google to grasp why employers would say this to an applicant.

The top 3 reasons I found and were reasonable are:

  1. You have too many degrees and/or were paid too much previously. (AOL)
  2. We can't pay you enough. (US News)
  3. You'll leave as soon as something better comes around. (US News
While these are all reasons to consider, a hiring manager doesn't know the background of the applicant at all. Its not fair to judge just by their education space if they're here for temporary work or expecting too much of the job. Let that applicant be the decider. I mean, they are applying to the position so they must need or really want the job.

This scares me because soon I will be graduating as a Clinical Medical Assistant (CMA) and with the classes I have passed, I will be eligible to return and start clinicals for the Dental Hygienist program. Aside from that, I will have all the classes I need to transfer to a university after I graduate as a Dental Hygienist to take up the Creative Writing major and begin my Master's degree in that. I believe I can do this. However, I don't want to do all of this and not be hired by a company because they think my education is too detailed. That scares me. Rejection and failure scares me. & its all because I really want to be comfortable in life. I have no idea what to do.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for viewing my post. Feel free to leave a comment =)