Monday, April 15, 2013

Live a little because people die a lot.

L Hookah Lounge. That's where I spent my Sunday night. I had always heard stories of hookah lounges but I never would have guessed I would be at one.

It was late when my friend Nay called me and asked would I like to go to a hookah bar. Everyone knows on Sundays I like to watch Fox's Animation Domination line up and not be bothered. Unfortunately, I made a New Year's Resolution on December 30th, 2012, that enforced me to not turn down this event. When I tell my friends, "oh I don't feel like going anywhere," they immediately bring up my resolution and guilt trip me (great friends they are). If you're wondering what my New Year's Resolution was, I will put it at the end of this post! Anyway, I told Nay I would go with her and another friend, Derick, to a hookah bar but I don't plan on smoking anything. Little did I know, they had other plans for me.

First, we went to Burger King, next door to the lounge and picked up food. The workers were annoyed by our change of order and eventually got fed up with us (sorry BK!). After we got food, we went to the hookah lounge. Inside the lounge, the lights were dimmed. The lounge seemed to have a smokey, red glow. There were couches, tables with 4 chairs, and booths. Before we could choose our seats, the clerk asked us to choose a flavor of "hookah" so we could pay and they could set up. Derick, Nay and I couldn't choose a flavor. Since we were holding ice cream, we chose the ice cream flavor of "hookah." Next, Derick Nay, and I sat made our way to two couches. The couches, we chose, were located next to a wall screen. The wall screen seemed to be a reflection off of a projector but it was too smoky and dark for me to make anything out. The screen on the wall displayed every song that was played using Pandora Internet Radio. Pandora Internet Radio (or app) allows you to choose and save your favorite stations (genre, time period or artist) and it will play songs from your choice and adds in random songs that are similar to your choice.

While we ate, laughed and waited for two of our other friends to show up, the clerk and other workers were preparing our hookah pipe. The left photo is a photo from Google showing the parts and the right photo is an actually photo of our hookah pipe from last night.
After everyone had gathered together, we began to smoke the hookah. This website explains what Hookah is: http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-hookah.htm. I know youre probably saying "oh its bad for you" blah blah. But I'm a virgin to everything. I couldnt even handle hookah. After I inhaled some, I was too giggly and too goofy to go on. We were there until it closed at 11. When it closed, we went to Wendys then to a friend's house to hang out until we were too tired to stay up.

I had a lot of fun at the hookah bar. It made me realize even more than I don't want nor need to drink alcohol or smoke weed. Actually, I'm pretty sure if I smoked weed, I'd throw up. I felt like I wanted to when I got home. The plus side of smoking hookah is it relaxes you. I felt no kind of stress and after I showered and laid down, I slept for a total of 9 hours. When I woke up this morning, I felt energized and refreshed and ready to tackle my problem and solution essay. So wish me luck, I'm about to head into it.

If you're thinking about going to a hookah bar to try it, I say go for it. I was hesitant at first, but how would I ever know what it is I like or dislike if I never try it? Like Drake said, "live a little cause people die a lot." Have a little fun before you're old, wishing you would have. Make sure its legal and safe before you try it.

Its college and the end of the semester, for Pete's sake. We need to relax some times.

My New Year's Resolution: My goal for 2013 is to keep any plans I make with my friends. Even if it means going out of my way to do so. I must understand that this is a time when most of us are unmarried, independent, child-free, and within driving distance of one another. This is something that will not happen again in life, and I need to take all the advantage of it while I can.