Saturday, May 17, 2014

Haters Gone Hate

Once upon a time, there lived a single, high school senior named Reisha. Being single for 2 years at that time, she decided she would pursue a crush she had on a junior at her school. We'll call him Derrick because he looked a lot like Derrick Rose. Anywhom, Derrick was quiet, reserved and a student athlete. There were rumors that he didn't date African American girls. It seemed that way also. In April of 2012, Reisha decided a rumor wasn't going to stand in between her and a potential boyfriend. She approached Derrick after months of watching him walk by in the hallway or accidentally bumping into him on the stairway.

 During the transfer from the 6th class period to the last class period of the day (7th period), she mustered up the courage to stop him in the hall and say, "Hi. I'm Reisha. I think you're cute & I would love to get to know you." He smiled at her. She gave him her number and he said he would call and walked away.

For a girl like Reisha, this took a lot of courage. It was a huge step out of a comfort zone she rarely ever left. & when Derrick never called or texted her, she felt she had made a huge mistake of leaving her comfort zone. I know you've guessed it but yes, I am Reisha :)

The next two months until graduation were pretty awkward. Before approaching Derrick, I had to pass by him to get to most of my classes. After approaching Derrick, I avoided him and hid from him due to shame. In my heart, I really wished I would have kept my secret crush to myself. What makes this situation stand out of my line of crushes is: Derrick could have possibly been my next boyfriend.

I was so happy I didn't have to return to high school in the Fall. That meant no more seeing Derrick...so I thought. My best friend, Tia, informed me that Derrick works at her job. They were actually getting really close because they were coworkers. It didn't affect the way I felt about the situation that happened in high school though. While I'm wallowing in my pain, I forgot that with every crush comes a hater who doesn't want that person to get their crush. I was reminded of this when Tia frantically called me about 1 month and 1 week ago (in April 2013) and told me to send her a picture I really liked of myself. I did as I was told and she called me back with information I didn't think I would ever hear.

I'm not down with he/she say stuff but hey, this is my best friend!! Tia told me that Derrick considered calling me that day but he was talking to someone else at the moment and didn't think it was fair. When that relationship didn't work out, he wanted to call/text me but lost the number and didn't want to ask again because he thought I was talking to one of the stars of the football and basketball team, Kenny (that is what we will call him).

I met Kenny through my pretend brother, Monte, in the same school year I liked Derrick. Kenny was a cocky, self centered, inconsiderate jerk. He was the furthest person from my mind. In high school, I was on the yearbook committee and I was assigned to go around to different classes during my free period and take pictures of students doing what they do best: work. I could see why Derrick thought Kenny and I were talking of dating because when I went to their construction class, Kenny pinned me against the wall and tried to kiss me. He failed because I slapped him but it probably did look like he got away with it from everyone else's angle. Kenny, being the asshole he is, probably told his classmates he kissed me. I'm sure I was brought up during that class period during that time because another guy, Edwin (his new name), also liked me and interfered with my crushes. Silly kid games.

Tia broke the news to Derrick that I wasn't and never would be interested in Kenny. Derrick went on to tell her that he thought the girls at our high school were ghetto. None of which he wanted to deal with. She ensured him that I wasn't ghetto of any kind. It doesn't really matter because Derrick has been dating another  girl since July of 2012. He told Tia that his girlfriend and him have a lot of issues because she's insecure about him being on social networks even though she is.

So yeah, if you are ever in this situation, my advice would be to swallow your pride and tell your crush how you feel. You never know what he/she may think of you until you give it a shot. That person could really be your future wife or husband. Back then I regretted approaching Derrick but now I'm happy I did it. I was able to make progress from it (though none of my crushes work out afterwards worked out either). Don't let my bad luck stories with my crushes disagree you from yours.

& to the asshole who messed up my chance with the guy I liked, I just want to say: