Thursday, April 25, 2013

Today

It was a regular day for me. I got off the bus, downtown and decided to walk to the library. The Main Library isn't that far from the bus terminal. I have always walked there with no issue, but today was different. I crossed the street normally. A UPS truck was at the beginning of the street and a golden colored truck was behind it with its blinkers on. There seemed to be no one in the truck. I paid it no mind. I proceeded to my destination.

As I was passing by a clothing store and a law office, the gold truck began to move backwards as I walked forward. I began to walk slowly, taking my ear-buds out and watching the car as it moved backwards to the end of the street. A white, muscular male hopped out the car and walked onto the sidewalk where I needed to pass. The way he looked at me was like something cold. His eyes seemed cold. Everything seemed to be in slow motion...

There was an older, black male behind me and a bunch of young children, walking on the other sidewalk across the street. The city that I live in is known for being apart of the sex trade. I wasn't taking any chances. I turned around and began to run back to the crosswalk to reach the terminal. The man got back in his truck and moved it back up behind the UPS truck. I called my friend on the phone and impatiently waited to cross the street. The man got out his truck again and began to walk towards me. As soon as the light turned for me to cross, I ran across the street and blended in with a crowd of people. I watched as he got back in his truck and sat there with his headlights on, blinking...

Thank you God for watching over me...